Betts Ecology & Estates are a friendly team and welcome enquiries to join us. The following opportunities are currently available:
We are looking for qualified ecologists to join our friendly team in Martley. In the first instance, please email your full CV to email@example.com with a cover letter of your qualifications and experience.
We will consider all applications but please bear in mind that successful applicants will have the attributes below:
- A relevant degree in ecology or directly related subject;
- The ability to conduct ecological surveys of various kinds;
- Excellent English with report writing ability and communication skills with proficiency in Word, Excel and other Microsoft Office programs;
- Knowledge and practical experience in general botany/British flora identification plus the basics of mycology, herpetology, entomology, ornithology and mammalogy as well as the UK Planning system and wildlife regulations.
- A clean driving licence.
Possession of protected species licences will be an advantage.
The employment would be permanent following a trial period and based at our Martley Office. Salary negotiable.
Grounds Maintenance Operative
Betts Estates, Worcester WR6
Up to £19,000 a year - Full-time, Permanent
Betts Estates are looking to recruit a full-time Estates Grounds person. You must be enthusiastic, hardworking, self-motivated and be able to work under your own initiative and as part of our team. This position is based in Martley, Worcester and will mainly cover sites in the Midlands, though some travel may be required. Candidates should have proven practical experience in land management, ideally with evidence to show understanding and practical application of today’s nature conservation and biodiversity protection/net gain policies.
This position is likely to start in early 2022.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Grassland (of all types) and other habitat management using pedestrian and ride-on mowers, strimmers, chainsaws and other manual/power tools across our open space and nature reserves.
- Tree, shrub & hedge planting, care, management and maintenance.
- Making safe fallen trees and branches.
- Meadow and conservation grassland seeding/establishment.
- Management of aquatic (lentic and lotic) habitats.
- Fencing maintenance.
- Maintenance of machinery.
- Litter removal & bin emptying.
- Visual checks and basic maintenance of play equipment.
- Mechanical weed control (we avoid chemical spray and pesticide use).
Qualifications and Skills
Ideally candidates should have some, or all, of the following:
- Lowland habitat management experience.
- Experience with ground maintenance machinery, particularly ride-on mowers and brush-cutters with evidence of relevant qualifications.
- Full, clean driving licence and trailer licence.
- Chainsaw Maintenance & Cross Cutting.
- Experience with tractor driving.
- An awareness of climate change and pollution as they affect land-use.
- Good/emerging botanical identification skills
- A natural enthusiasm for nature conservation.
- First Aid Certificate.
To see Betts’ site management policies, please visit: https://bettsecology.co.uk/policies
Salary will be up to approximately £19,000pa dependent on experience and ability. Additional benefits include a commitment to ongoing professional development, the auto-enrolment pension scheme, a personal welfare scheme and 25 days annual leave (exclusive of public holidays).